Instruction is the action or process of teaching. Instruction must be focused on the right content and be delivered, organized and managed in a way that is consistent with what has been learned from research. High quality instruction that is both systematic and explicit will meet the needs of most learners.
The Alabama Reading Initiative views high quality instruction as a set of practices that are applicable to both the earliest instruction for children and adult learning principles across all disciplines. When employed simultaneously in any learning environment, these practices make the learning observable in terms of both process and product and maximize the retention of concepts and content.
The Alabama Reading Initiative views high quality instruction
- Based on multiple forms of data
- Focused to meet standards-based outcomes
- Considerate of developmental stages
- Intended to foster student engagement
- Structured to include research-based strategies
- Planned to include formative assessment from beginning to end
- Designed to increase student learning