How to Set Up an Account
You will need to set up an account and log in to ALEX in order to
your personal workspace and create lesson plans.
- Go to http://alex.state.al.us and
"Login" on the left side at the top of the list of buttons.
- Click on "Create new account."
- Click in each of the blanks on the next screen and type in the
information. Use your real first name and last name in the first two
In the blank for "Username" you may chose an alias or nickname or, for
in remembering it, the name of another account you may already have,
as the one you log in with at school or work. This will be the name
in with on ALEX in the future, so make a note of it.
- In the next blank choose a password of six characters or more. Be
note the password you choose or use one that you use for other online
Enter the password again in the next blank.
- STOP HERE!!! In the next blank you would normally enter
email address. HOWEVER, if you are setting up this account during a
or training, you will need to use an email address that you can access
the Internet in order to confirm and immediately begin using your
OTHERWISE, wait for instructions from your trainer as to the temporary
or email address to use for the purposes of this training. You may go
later and enter your correct email address. (If you are using this
your own computer, go ahead and use the email account you normally use
will appear and you will need to click "OK" to indicate acceptance of
- You will then see the login screen again with a message in red
that a confirmation email has been sent. At this point follow the
of your trainer, (or login to your email account if you are at your
and open the email from ALEX. Click on the hypertext link within the
to confirm your account. You will be taken directly to the ALEX
page and a message in red letters will indicate for you to fill in
system and your school or organization. After doing this, click the
Account" button and the account creation process will be complete.
you click on the hypertext link within the email and are NOT taken
to the profile page, try copying and pasting the link from the email
your browser and going to the page that way to confirm.
- In the future, any time you are visiting ALEX and see at the
top of the
left-hand list of buttons the word "Logout," this will indicate that
LOGGED IN to ALEX and can access your personal workspace. If you can
words "Login" in this space, you are NOT logged in and will need to
"Login" and enter the username and password you chose during Steps 3
- Once you have logged in, click the button "Personal Workspace"
left of the ALEX screen to go to an area of ALEX that is yours to
store lesson plans. No one can access this workspace without your
username and password. You will know that you are logged in correctly
you will see the words "Welcome" and your own name at the top of the
- Inside your Personal Workspace you can click "Create a lesson
access the lesson plan template for entering your own lesson plans
you wish, submitting them for inclusion in the public lesson plan
- You can store lesson plans here for your personal use without
them. If you do submit, refer to this screen to see the status of
lesson plans. You will receive a message from the ALEX lesson plan
that either says, "Modification Required to Plan" or "Plan Approved."
will also see a listing of lesson plans waiting approval and lesson
that have been approved, if applicable.
- Your account on ALEX will remain active as long as you access it
every six months. If you do not, you will receive an email notifying
your account is about to be deactivated. To prevent deactivation, just
in again. It is important to keep the email address you registered
current so you can be notified, if needed.
- To update your email address or change your password, click the
button, then click "Change password" or "Change email address," enter
current username and password, then enter the updated information, and
either the "Change my password" button or "Send my confirmation"
- If in Step 5 above you used an email address other than your
please follow step 13 above at your earliest convenience and update to
correct email address.
- If, in the future, you need to update your school system,
organization, follow these steps:
- Login and click on "Personal Workspace"
- At the top of the page, find the "Click here to update your
and click on it.
- Change your school system and/or school in the drop down lists.
- Click the "Update Profile" button.