The Torchbearer Schools Program was created to recognize high-poverty, high-performing public schools in Alabama. To be eligible for a monetary reward, the Torchbearer School must make Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) for two consecutive years and meet additional criteria. (To print a complete list of 2012-2013 criteria, click here)
|Alabama Torchbearer Schools Video 2012 - 2013 (QuickTime)|
|Alabama Torchbearer Schools Video 2012 - 2013 (Windows Media Player)|
Criteria for Rewards 2012-2013
(Based on 2011-2012 Test Results)
In order to be in the Torchbearer School category (i.e., a high-poverty, high-performing school), a school must meet all of the following, as applicable:
- Identified as Meeting the Challenge School.
- Identified as Advancing the Challenge School.
- Identified as Exceeding the Challenge School.
- Have at least 80% poverty rate (percent free/reduced meals).
- Have at least 80% of students score Level III or Level IV on the reading section of the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test+.
- Have at least 80% of students score Level III or Level IV on the mathematics section of the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test+.
- Have at least 95% of Grade 12 students pass all required subjects of the Alabama High School Graduation Exam.
- Have a graduation rate above state average.
- Be in existence at the time of the award.
- Poverty rate is rounded to the nearest whole number.
- Rounding is not used when determining if the criteria is met.
- Calculations include only students who are full academic year (September 1 to testing window).
- Partial credit is not given for Level II.
- Poverty rate is taken from the official fall SDE extract (20 days after Labor Day).
All schools in the Torchbearer School category will be awarded monetary prizes.
additional torchbearer resources
For more information contact:
Angela Mangum, Ph. D.
SDE, Leadership and Evaluation
For information on Alabama's Blue Ribbon Schools, click here.
Upcoming Professional Study Reviews
Applications received by:
· Oct. 14th will be reviewed Oct. 29th.
· Nov. 26th will be reviewed Dec. 10th.
· Jan. 14, 2014 will be reviewed Jan. 28, 2014.
· Feb. 11, 2014 will be reviewed Feb. 25, 2014.