1) Divide class into collaborative groups of about 5 students.
2) Have students cut two 20ft pieces of string.
3) Groups should gather all materials (listed above) and everyone should go outside for this activity.
4) Once outside, groups need to spread out, giving them plenty of room for their 20ft X-axis and Y-Axis, which will be made out of the 2 pieces of yarn.
5) Groups set the X-axis and Y-axis for their Cartesian plane, being sure they are as close to perpendicular as possible. Once they are satisfied with the axes, they must tie each end of the yarn to a pencil. Then they should stick the pencils in the ground to hold their Cartesian plane in place.
6) Students take a ruler and a Sharpie, putting a one foot space between each point on the X-axis and the Y-axis. Cartesian planes are now complete and groups should be ready to plot ordered pairs.
7) Groups follow directions on the Human Ordered Pairs activity sheet (attached) to complete the activity.
8) Gather materials and go back to the classroom.
9) Upon return to the classroom, have students sit with groups and go over (whole class) each of the tasks they had to do while outside.