|Lesson Plan ID:
Bullying is Whack...Get on the Right Track!
In this lesson, students will research several prevention and intervention techniques of bullying. By using the information gained through an interactive game on ways to prevent bullying, an interactive bullying book app, and various websites, students will create a Public Service Announcement (PSA) to share this information with others.
|CG(K-12) ||10. A:A3.1 - take responsibility for their actions |
|CG(K-12) ||75. C:C2.2 - learn how to use conflict management skills with peers and adults |
|CG(K-12) ||83. PS:A1.6 - distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate behavior |
|CG(K-12) ||92. PS:A2.3 - recognize, accept, respect and appreciate individual differences |
|CG(K-12) ||93. PS:A2.4 - recognize, accept and appreciate ethnic and cultural diversity |
|CG(K-12) ||103. PS:B1.6 - know how to apply conflict-resolution skills |
|TC2(K-2) ||10. Design original works using digital tools. |
|TC2(3-5) ||8. Collect information from a variety of digital sources. |
|TC2(3-5) ||12. Create a product using digital tools. |
|HE1(5) ||8. Explain prevention and intervention techniques related to bullying. |
|Primary Learning Objective(s):
In this lesson, students will:
- identify and explain prevention and intervention techniques related to bullying.
- create a Public Service Announcement to share information about bullying.
|Additional Learning Objective(s):
|Approximate Duration of the Lesson:
|| 61 to 90 Minutes|
|Materials and Equipment:
- Graphic Organizer (see attachments)
- Materials for props for the Public Service Announcements (optional)
|Technology Resources Needed:
- Students and teachers should be familiar with the interactive PBS game and the iPad app.
- The iPad book app should be downloaded on the iPad that will be projected for the whole group lesson.
- Students and teachers should be familiar with the video function on the iPads.
Here are some valuable websites with information on bullying that can be reviewed/shared with students:
- If each child does not have an iPad to create their Public Service Announcement, students may work in groups depending on the number of iPads available.
- If you do not have iPads available at all, students could use any other recording device to create their PSA (Flip Camera, Digital Camera, etc.)
- Give students a copy of the graphic organizer (in attachment section.)
- Play "Beat the Bully" with students using an LCD projector, and discuss answers with students while you play. Students should write ideas on their graphic organizer as prevention and intervention techniques are discussed. Teachers can share information from the additional websites listed with students as well.
- Use the LCD projector to show students the interactive book app, Three "Little" Pigs (And the Big Bad Bully.) Students can continue to take notes on their graphic organizers.
- Tell students that they are going to use the information they have collected on their graphic organizers to create a Public Service Announcement to share t prevention and intervention techniques for bullying.
- Show "The Bully Rap" PSA Podcast from ALEX as an example for students.
- Give each student (or group of students) an iPad, and encourage them to write a "script" for their PSA. They can even use the Notes app on their iPads for this.
- Students can create props for their PSA if they choose.
- Using the video function on the iPad, students should record their PSA.
- Allow students to share their PSA by using the LCD projector.
|Attachments:**Some files will display in a new window. Others will prompt you to download.
The students' Public Service Announcements will serve as an assessment to ensure their understanding of bullying intervention and prevention.
- Encourage students to be creative with their PSA (they could create a rap or skit similar to the podcast.)
- Public Service Announcements could be edited and uploaded as Podcasts on the ALEX website.
- Students who need assistance could be grouped with a partner to complete their Public Service Announcement.
Each area below is a direct link to general teaching strategies/classroom
for students with identified learning and/or behavior problems such as: reading
or math performance below grade level; test or classroom assignments/quizzes at
a failing level; failure to complete assignments independently; difficulty with
short-term memory, abstract concepts, staying on task, or following directions;
poor peer interaction or temper tantrums, and other learning or behavior problems.
|Presentation of Material
||Using Groups and Peers
|Assisting the Reluctant Starter
||Dealing with Inappropriate
Be sure to check the student's IEP for specific accommodations.
|Variations Submitted by ALEX Users: