Before Activity (10 minutes--5 to brainstorm and 5 to share out. It is important that this is timed.)
1. Have students work with a partner. On a sheet of paper, have students brainstorm what their ambitions are for their adult work life. Give examples such as working outside, working with computers, making lots of money, etc.
2. Next, have students brainstorm career choices that they hope will have those attributions.
3. Ask each pair to share one of their ambitions and one of their career choices.
4. Explain to students that this week, they will be doing a research project about career choices.
During Activity: Career Exploration
1. Students should log in to Chromebooks/laptops and take career quiz found at http://whodouwant2b.com/student/pathways.
2. After taking quiz, students should explore the different career pathways found under 15 Pathways to Success. They should find the student from the Industry Sector that matches their career choice. Next, they should read and explore that area.
After Activity: By now, students should have chosen a career choice. Using their Chromebook/laptop, they should research their careers to find the answers to the questions found in the attachment. If they are unable to find the answers, they should list at least five websites where they searched. Magazines that feature current careers may be used as well.
In this lesson, students will complete a research project about their career, culminating in a multimedia presentation that should include the following:
Slide 1: Student’s first and last name and career choice.
Slide 2: A list of five reasons why student chose the career.
Slide 3: A picture that represents the career choice and a sentence explaining why the picture represents the career.
Slide 4: Education that is required for your career including the coursework required and places where student could attend school in order to get this career.
Slide 5: Job requirements of the career.
Slide 6: Starting salary
Slide 7: List other careers that are similar to the chosen career. Using specific examples from websites and/or print sources, explain how the other careers are similar.
Slide 8: In one paragraph, explain how the chosen career would benefit mankind. Give specific examples to support your position.
Slide 9: Write a concluding paragraph about the next steps needed in order to achieve this career.
Slide 10: This will be the bibliography. List the websites and print sources used in the project.