1.) Ask students if they know what the word honesty means. Talk to them about why it is important to tell the truth and the consequences for not telling the truth.
2. Engage the students in the lesson by showing the honesty video clip.
3. Ask students to turn and talk to their partner about a time something good happened because they told the truth. Give students an opportunity to share their responses.
4. Ask students to turn and talk to their partner about a time they did not tell the truth and the consequences they faced. Give students an opportunity to share their responses.
5. Read aloud the Chinese folktale The Empty Pot by Demi. Discuss examples from the story of the characters being either honest or dishonest. The students will pick an example from the story and draw a picture that represents an example of either honesty or dishonesty. The students will be directed to cite evidence from the text to support their responses.
6. The students will share their pictures and text-supported evidence with the class. The students will give the detail from the text orally that supports the picture they drew. The teacher will record their responses on a t-chart labeled "Examples of being honest/ Examples of being dishonest."
7. Discuss the moral of the story (it is always better to be honest rather than to be dishonest). Talk about the part of the story where Ping was frustrated when his plant didn't grow, and the part when he found out why it didn't grow. Ask students to turn and talk with their partner about Pings feelings each time.
8. Use each letter of the word "honesty" to write details from the story. The teacher will model an example of how to complete the assignment.
Example: H - He planted the seed the king gave him. O - Only Ping was honest. N -No one was given a seed that would actually grow. E - Every person that brought a flower to the king was dishonest. S - So many people could not believe Ping pleased the King. T- The king was pleased when he saw Ping's empty pot. Y - You should follow Ping's example of doing the right thing. After modeling an example of the writing activity the students will complete the writing assignment on the handout. ( See the attached handout honesty.pdf)
Teacher will assist students with their writing.
Students will share their work when completed.