|Lesson Plan ID:
Sweet History: Prezi Presentation Creation
This is a great lesson for incorporating informational texts and technology into the classroom. Students will create a Pezi presentation to discover the history of candy. Students investigate informational texts to find its ingredient and slogan history. Students will need access to a computer lab and Internet access.
This is a College- and Career-Ready Standards showcase lesson plan.
|Primary Learning Objective(s):
Students will employ a technology application to create a presentation.
Students will create a presentation using Prezi.
Students will employ Web 2.0 tools to insert pictures, web links, and organize information.
Students will research informational texts.
Students will organize information from informational texts.
Students will paraphrase information from informational texts.
Students will use the Internet to locate reliable resources for information.
Students will read informational tables and charts.
Students will present information to their peers.
|Additional Learning Objective(s):
|Approximate Duration of the Lesson:
|| 91 to 120 Minutes|
|Materials and Equipment:
Students should create a Prezi account at ww. (see step one)
Computer lab access.
Students follow the Sweet History Prezi Creation Outline – cut these squares and tape them to each computer station for easy access to the students.
|Technology Resources Needed:
The teacher should become familiar with the processes for creating a Prezi at Prezi.com.
Check the computer lab to be sure all computers are in working condition. Some students may work in pairs for this project if computer availability is limited.
Prezi account creation
**Students will need an e-mail address in order to register for an account**
** Follow local policies related to student privacy and Internet safety in regards to student accounts.**
**It is a good idea to have students write down their log-in and password information to give to you in case they forget their log-in information.**
- Go to Prezi.com
- Click sign up now
- Choose "Public" – free version
- Fill in the form for information. **remind students not to use nicknames**
Spend time modeling basic operations for creating a Prezi presentation. Keep in mind that many things about Prezi will be learned through discovery learning.
- Project the KWL chart or have students draw: see link: http://www.eduplace.com/graphicorganizer/pdf/kwl.pdf
- Ask students to list everything they already Know about Hershey and the candy.
- Ask students to write questions of what they Want to know about Hershey.
- Project the informational article: http://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/issues/SC/book#/18
- Read the article aloud with the students.
- Ask students to complete what they Learned from the article.
- Then ask students to go back to what they want to know and list other things they want to know after reading the article.
- Show the Hershey's video clip: "How we make chocolate": http://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/issues/SC/book#/18
- As students to add more information to what they Learned section of the KWL.
- Discuss with students that they will be creating a project based on a candy product, and they will investigate to find information based on informational texts.
Prezi Presentation Creation
- Take students to the computer lab.
- Give students the Sweet History: Prezi Creation Outline.(see attachments)
- You may assign students topics or you may allow them to choose the topic.
- Review expectations by also giving students the Prezi Rubric (see attachments)
- Remind students that they must include a resource "slide" of references of where they retrieved their information.
- Remain available to students for questions and guidance.
- Since the presentation saves to the Internet automatically, students may log-in from anywhere to work on their presentation.
Presenting the Prezi
- Once students have completed the Prezi, allow them to present to the class.
- Students may "share" their presentation with your account to make for smooth transitions.
- Go into the presentation to be shared
- Click "share"
- Type in the log-in email used for the account sharing with
- The person shared with can now view and even edit the presentation
- Allow students to present their presentation to their peers using a projector and computer with Internet access.
- Use the rubric for grading. (see attached)
**If permitted, allow students to bring "samples" of their product for the class during their presentation.**
|Attachments:**Some files will display in a new window. Others will prompt you to download.
Prezi.com (Prezi creation)
Extracting information from informational texts
Students may add additional elements to the Prezi to create an advanced presentation that exhibits advanced skills with technology such as incorporating videos or music associated with the topic.
Students needing additional help may need additional help locating informational materials. Perhaps, assign the student a peer helper for this assignment.
Each area below is a direct link to general teaching strategies/classroom
for students with identified learning and/or behavior problems such as: reading
or math performance below grade level; test or classroom assignments/quizzes at
a failing level; failure to complete assignments independently; difficulty with
short-term memory, abstract concepts, staying on task, or following directions;
poor peer interaction or temper tantrums, and other learning or behavior problems.
|Presentation of Material
||Using Groups and Peers
|Assisting the Reluctant Starter
||Dealing with Inappropriate
Be sure to check the student's IEP for specific accommodations.
|Variations Submitted by ALEX Users: