1. Read or watch Balto, if desired. If not share the information about the Iditarod from the website in background.
2. Explain that your students are going to keep up with their mileage and "walk" the Iditarod just like the mushers. Every day during the race (beginning the first Saturday in March) until the musher crosses the finish line, their mileage will be recorded.
3. Daily introduce a different musher (or more) and share their story from the website. You can randomly select them, or preread the biographies that might make a good connection for the students.
4. Talk about the race leaders, and the characteristics that make a good leader.
5. The Iditarod doesn't have stickers or stamps when a musher crosses, but you might want to incorporate this.