1. Provide students with a variety of job applications or allow them to go online and find job applications.
2. Give students the opportunity to glance over the applications and highlight any unknown vocabulary.
3. Make a list of the vocabulary and discuss domain-specific vocabulary.
4. Look at the job application again and this time fill out the application to the best of your ability.
5. Allow students to peer huddle (work in a group of 3-5) and discuss the unexpected challenges that arose while completing the application.
6. Come together as a whole group and allow free discussion of challenges and unexpected questions. Tell students that reading comprehension is important for every aspect of life. If you cannot comprehend what you read, it will be very difficult to find even the most basic job.
7. Provide students with a list of comprehension questions that match the applications (Examples attached). Allow students to work either independently or with a partner to answer the questions.