Support for Alabama School Librarians for Alabama's College and Career Ready Standards
The Alabama State Board of Education approved the adoption of the internationally benchmarked Common Core State Standards along with selected Alabama standards in November 2010. By combining both Common Core and Alabama's standards, our state has adopted one of the most comprehensive sets of standards in the nation, ensuring students are prepared for a successful future in the ever-expanding global environment.
Misconceptions - Common Core State Standards (CCRS) are not a "national curriculum"; each participating state agreed to adopt a minimum of 85% of the standards; the remaining 15% may be developed at the state level. This state specific correlation is why the Alabama College and Career Standards and Supports are exceptionally comprehensive.
An important point to remember is that the CCRS discuss the "what" of curriculum: what students should know and be able to do, but does not mandate the "how" or "by whom". Educators in the local education agencies (LEA) will design lessons and pedagogical strategies to address the standards, These standards are not specific to one teacher thereby giving school librarians a marvelous opportunity.
Helpful sites for the School Librarian related to CCRS and the CCSS
This page provides tools and materials for using the Library’s unique collections of primary source documents in the classroom. These teacher-created materials include lesson plans, document analysis tools, online and offline activities, timelines, presentations and professional development resources.
Find Library of Congress lesson plans and more that meet Common Core standards, state content standards, and the standards of national organizations.
Amazing Resource -- Find the best digital products for your curriculum by using intuitive filters that quickly guide you through the Common Core State Standards and surface products. For Alabama teachers using the College and Career Ready Standard, use the identifiers in brackets to help you with this tool. Click on
AASL Crosswalk of the Common Core Standards and the Standards for the 21st-Century Learner
The following pages include tables that help school librarians learn how the American Association of School Librarians Standards for the 21st-Century Learner and the Common Core Standards align.
|AASL Standards for the 21st-Century Learner Lesson Plan Database
The American Association of School Librarians' (AASL) Standards for the 21st-Century Learner Lesson Plan Database is a tool to support school librarians and other educators in teaching the essential learning skills defined in the AASL Standards for the 21st-Century Learner.
|Common Core College and Career Readiness Skills Learned Through the Library Instructional Program|
|EMPIRE STATE INFORMATION FLUENCY CONTINUUM
Benchmark Skills for Grades K-12 Assessments / Common Core Alignment
|Alabama Insight Tool - Link and Alabama Insight User's Guide|
|Supplemental Information for Appendix A of the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy: New Research on Text Complexity|
|Math - The goal of Alabama’s K-12 mathematics standards is to prepare students for future opportunities and options in the workplace and for everyday life.|
|English Langauge Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects - The goal of the Alabama English Language Arts curriculum is for all students to achieve English language literacy in order to be college- and career-ready. This is accomplished through a sequential, comprehensive curriculum that develops lifelong, critical thinkers who approach problem solving with confidence.|
|Insight Tool - Link and Alabama Insight User's Guide|