Vestavia Hills Elementary Central
Vestavia Hills City School System
Fourth grade students will explain the process and steps of an alternative way to solve multiplication problems. Students will explore this alternative algorithm that focuses on place value. Students will use their place value knowledge in order to break apart each number and solve for a product. Students will also use their knowledge of arrays to organize the steps of the problem.
Content Areas: Math
Alabama Course of Study Alignments and/or Professional Development Standard Alignments:
[MA2013] (5) 7: Use place value understanding to round decimals to any place. [5-NBT4]
Understand numbers, ways of representing numbers, relationships among numbers, and number systems:
- understand the place-value structure of the base-ten number system;
- recognize equivalent representations for the same number and generate them by decomposing and composing numbers.
Understand meanings of operations and how they relate to one another:
• understand various meanings of multiplication.
Compute fluently and make reasonable estimates:
- develop fluency with basic number combinations for multiplication and use these combinations to mentally compute related problems, such as 30 × 50;
- develop fluency in adding and multiplying whole numbers.