Loading the player ...
Vestavia Hills Elementary Central,
Vestavia Hills City School System
Using AMSTI Animals Studies unit, student give a summary of their experience with millipedes. Students go through the various activities that were completed in the millipedes section of the unit. Students share their knowledge they acquired about millipedes. They also share the steps and process of creating the millipede habitat. Students follow up with millipede care.
Content Areas: Science
Alabama Course of Study Alignments and/or Professional Development Standard Alignments:
|SC (4) || |
5. Describe the interdependence of plants and animals. Describing behaviors and body structures that help animals survive in particular habitats
behaviors—migration, hibernation, mimicry;
body structures—quills, fangs, stingers, webbed feet Describing life cycles of various animals to include incomplete and complete metamorphosis
Examples: damsel fly, mealworms Tracing the flow of energy through a food chain
Example: producer, first-level consumer, second-level consumer, and third-level consumer Identifying characteristics of organisms, including growth and development, reproduction, acquisition and use of energy, and response to the environment
|SC (4) || |
6. Classify animals as vertebrates or invertebrates and as endotherms or ectotherms. Describing the organization of cells into tissues, organs, and organ system Describing the grouping of organisms into populations, communities, and ecosystems Classifying common organisms into kingdoms, including Animalia, Plantae, Protista, Fungi, Archaebacteria, and Eubacteria
|SC2015 (4) || |
11. Investigate different ways animals receive information through the senses,
process that information, and respond to it in different ways (e.g., skunks
lifting tails and spraying an odor when threatened, dogs moving ears when
reacting to sound, snakes coiling or striking when sensing vibrations).
Science as Inquiry:
- ability necessary to do scientific inquiry,
- understandings about scientific inquiry.
- Characteristics of organisms,
- life cycles of organisms,
- organisms and their environment.