Social Studies (2010) - Grade(s): 2
Describe the significant national holidays, including the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.; Presidents' Day; Memorial Day; the Fourth of July; Veterans Day; and Thanksgiving Day.
- historic figures (male and female)
- democratic values
- founding fathers
- national holidays
- American symbols
- Fundamental democratic values including equality, justice, and responsibility for the common good.
- The names and significance of national historic figures, both male and female.
- The significance of national holidays and the relationship of each to democratic values.
- The history and significance of American symbols and monuments.
- Vocabulary: democratic values, equality, justice, responsibility, common good, founding father, national holiday, American symbol, monument
Students are able to:
- Identify national historic figures and celebrations.
- Identify the ways historic figures and celebrations exemplify fundamental democratic values.
- Recognize our country's founding fathers and other historic male figures.
- Recognize historic female figures.
- Describe national holidays, including the significance of each and the democratic values associated with each.
- Identify American symbols and monuments and describe the history and significance of each.
Students understand that:
- There is an importance and impact of national historic figures and celebrations.