Social Studies (2010) - Grade(s): K
Identify and recognize the symbols, customs, individuals, and celebrations for our state and nation.
- Our state and nation has certain symbols that represent it and its people.
- There are certain customs common to citizens of our state and nation.
- There are celebrations common to the citizens of our state and nation.
- There are certain individuals who are widely recognized as representatives of our state and nation.
- Vocabulary: symbol, custom, celebrate, celebration, represent, representative, state, nation, Alabama, United States, pledge, allegiance
Students are able to:
- Identify various symbols of our state and nation, including the American flag, Alabama flag, bald eagle, etc.
- Identify various customs of our state and nation, including reciting the "Pledge of Allegiance," singing the "Star Spangled Banner," etc.
- Identify various famous individuals of our state and nation, including George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King Jr., etc.
- Identify various celebrations of our state and nation, including The Fourth of July, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, etc.
Students understand that:
- There are certain symbols, customs, celebrations, and famous individuals recognized by most citizens of our state and nation.