Science (2015) Grade(s): 1
Investigate materials to determine which types allow light to pass through (e.g., transparent materials such as clear plastic wrap), allow only partial light to pass through (e.g., translucent materials such as wax paper), block light (e.g., opaque materials such as construction paper), or reflect light (e.g., shiny materials such as aluminum foil).
- Some materials allow all light to pass through.
- Some materials allow partial light to pass through.
- Some materials block all the light from passing through.
- Some materials reflect light, which changes its direction.
Students are able to:
- Investigate to determine the effect of placing objects made of different materials in a beam of light.
Students understand that:
- Simple tests can gather evidence to determine that placing different materials in a beam of light will cause light to either: pass through, partially pass through, block, or reflect.
Scientific and Engineering Practices
Planning and Carrying out Investigations
Cause and Effect