The ReadWriteThink Webbing Tool is a simple online brainstorming tool. In this activity, the Webbing Tool will be utilized to review the concept and vocabulary of a butterfly metamorphosis and life cycle.
Students will use prior knowledge of the butterfly life cycle stages to create a representation of their life cycle.
The students will recall prior knowledge of the butterfly life cycle by recording their discussion using the ReadWriteThink Webbing Tool.
1. Explain to students that they are going to play a game called "Snowball Fight" to determine what they know about the life cycle of a butterfly.
2. Display the ReadWriteThink Webbing Tool for the class to view.
3. Briefly summarize the rules of the snowball fight.
4. To begin the game, pass the snowball (a balled up piece of paper) to a student.
5. Ask the student to create a response to the topic, “Describe a stage in the life cycle of a butterfly.” Enter the response on the displayed WebbingTool.
6. Any student that has further information or vocabulary to share should say "pass the snowball."
7. The receiving student will create another response to the topic.
8. When possible, prompt students to use relevant vocabulary terms.
9. Ask for a student volunteer to summarize the writing to illustrate the stages of a butterfly life cycle and metamorphosis.
Determine if the students have prior knowledge of the butterfly life cycle by analyzing the responses entered on the webbing tool and observing the collaboration process.
Acceleration and Intervention
Other digital tools that may be used in place of the ReadWriteThink Webbing tool are:
- Bubbl.us – http://www.bubbl.us
- MindMeister – http://www.mindmeister.com/
- Mindomo – http://www.mindomo.com/
Related Learning Activities
Background and Preparation
Background / Preparation
- Review the stages of the butterfly
- Determine vocabulary
terms related to the life cycle.