ReadWriteThink profile is an interactive profile for students to learn how to create a safe online profile.
The students will:
- learn how to create a safe profile for use on the Internet
The students will learn how to create a safe online profile using the ReadWriteThink Tool.
- Explain to students that they are going to play the beach ball game to help create a safe online profile.
- Discuss "digital permanence" and possible implications on one's reputation.
- Display the ReadWriteThink Profile Tool for the class to view.
- Explain the rules of the beach ball game.
- Pass the Beach ball (which has the different parts of the profile written in the spaces) to a student.
- Ask the student to fill in the section on the profile based on where his left hand has landed.
- If a student wants to help add to the profile then he or she should say "I have sand."
- The student will give some advice as to what should be placed on that section of the profile.
- Note where students need help to better understand how to keep their profile safe.
- Ask for a student to summarize some key points to creating a safe online profile.
Determine if the students understand how to create a safe online profile by analyzing the responses on the profile tool, and observing the collaboration process.
Acceleration and Intervention
Additional ReadWriteThink Tool to use instead of the profile would be the online tips document.
Related Learning Activities
Background and Preparation
Background / Preparation
- Write the different sections of the profile on a beach ball.
- Have some pictures downloaded on the computer for the profile.