[MA2019] (5) 9 :
9. Model and solve real-word problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions referring to the same whole, including cases of unlike denominators, using visual fraction models or equations to represent the problem. Use benchmark fractions and number sense of fractions to estimate mentally, and assess the reasonableness of answers.
Example: Recognize an incorrect result 2/5+ 1/2= 3/7 by observing that 3/7 < 1/2. [MA2019] (5) 11 :
11. Solve word problems involving division of whole numbers leading to answers in the form of fractions or mixed numbers.
a. Model and interpret a fraction as division of the numerator by the denominator (a/b= a ÷ b)
b. Use visual fraction models, drawings, or equations to represent word problems involving division of whole numbers leading to answers in the form of fractions or mixed numbers [MA2019] (5) 14 :
14. Model and solve real-world problems involving multiplication of fractions and mixed numbers using visual fraction models, drawings, or equations to represent the problem. [MA2019] (5) 15 :
15. Apply and extend previous understandings of division to divide unit fractions by whole numbers and whole numbers by unit fractions.
a. Solve real-world problems involving division of unit fractions by non-zero whole numbers and division of whole numbers by unit fractions and illustrate using visual fraction models, drawings, and equations to represent the problem.
b. Create a story context for a unit fraction divided by a whole number, and use a visual fraction model to show the quotient.
c. Create a story context for a whole number divided by a unit fraction, and use a visual fraction model to show the quotient. [MA2019] (5) 17 :
17. Convert among different-sized standard measurement units within a given measurement system and use these conversions in solving multi-step, real-world problems. [MA2019] (5) 19 :
19. Relate volume to the operations of multiplication and addition, and solve real-world and mathematical problems involving volume.
a. Use the associative property of multiplication to find the volume of a right rectangular prism and relate it to packing the prism with unit cubes. Show that the volume can be determined by multiplying the three edge lengths or by multiplying the height by the area of the base.
b. Apply the formulas V = l x w x h and V = B x h for rectangular prisms to find volumes of right rectangular prisms with whole-number edge lengths in the context of solving real-world and mathematical problems.
c. Find volumes of solid figures composed of two non-overlapping right rectangular prisms by adding the volumes of the two parts, applying this technique to solve real-world problems. [MA2019] (5) 20 :
20. Graph points in the first quadrant of the coordinate plane, and interpret coordinate values of points to represent real-world and mathematical problems.