Please click link for complete handout of activity. Title: Rock Cycle Webquest code: earth
Materials: Computer, tablet, cellphone with internet capabilities, paper, pencil, colored pencils or crayons
1. Go to the following website: http://www.learner.org/interactives/rockcycle/index.html
2. Click on “Begin with Types of Rocks.” Read over the description of Igneous, Metamorphic and Sedimentary rocks. Then scroll to the bottom and examine the “What to look for” chart.
3. Write down the six clues below (they are in red):
4. Then click “Next: Start your collection.” Click Begin. Click on each of the six rocks to identify them and read a brief description.
Name of Rock Share two facts about this rock! Igneous, Metamorphic or Sedimentary?
(Do your best to use your knowledge to classify each rock!)
a) _________ __________________________ _________________________________
b) _________ __________________________ _________________________________
c) _________ __________________________ _________________________________
d) _________ __________________________ _________________________________
e) _________ __________________________ _________________________________
f) _________ __________________________ _________________________________
5. Now click “Next: Identify Rock Types” and read the directions on how to play.
Characteristic Type of Rock (circle one)
a) ___________________________ Igneous Metamorphic Sedimentary
b) ___________________________ Igneous Metamorphic Sedimentary
c) ___________________________ Igneous Metamorphic Sedimentary
d) ___________________________ Igneous Metamorphic Sedimentary
e) ___________________________ Igneous Metamorphic Sedimentary
6. Now click on the next chapter, titled “How Rocks Change.” Read the section on how heat and pressure changes rocks and watch the animation by clicking Start.
a) Heat and pressure causes _______________ rock to turn into ______________ rock.
7. Click “Next.” Read the section on Heating and Cooling. Click on the animation for Melting.
a) Melting causes _______________ rock to turn into ______________.
8. Click on the animation for Cooling. You may need to replay the animation more than once to answer the following questions.
a) How does extrusive igneous rock form? _____________________________________________________.
b) How does intrusive igneous rock form? _____________________________________________________.
c) Which cools faster? __________________
d) Which has crystals? __________________
9. Click “Next.” Read the section on Weathering and Erosion and Compacting and Cementing. Watch both animations. Take notes from animations in the space provided.
Weathering and Erosion:
Compacting and Cementing:
10. Click on “Transform the Rock.” Read the directions for how to play and press “Begin.” IMPORTANT: Fill out the table (column 1 and column 3) below BEFORE submitting each answer. The words disappear very quickly!
a) _______________________ + _____________________ = _______________
b) _______________________ + _____________________ = _______________
c) _______________________ + _____________________ = _______________
d) _______________________ + _____________________ = _______________
e) _______________________ + _____________________ = _______________
f) _______________________ + _____________________ = _______________
g) _______________________ + _____________________ = _______________
h) _______________________ + _____________________ = _______________
i) _______________________ + _____________________ = _______________
11. Go onto the next chapter. Explore the rock cycle diagram. When ready, click the Next to “Complete the Cycle!” Read the directions to learn how to play. You do not have to write your answers down, the computer will score you.
12. After completing the diagram you are ready to test your skills. Click Begin. Final score ____ / 15.
Use these terms to fill in the blanks:
1. Compaction & Cementation
5. Intrusive Crystallization
Part 3: Rock Cycle Videos
Rock Cycle (NASA): https://youtu.be/SRaInMDNyE8
Rock Cycle Animation (Kelly Dunham): https://youtu.be/9lyCYXXIHT0
Rock Cycle (Kartic Kumar): https://youtu.be/LiN5lL1CWPA
Watch the videos and answer the following questions (they are not in order).
1) What are the three types of rocks that are part of the rock cycle? ______________________________
2) What do you need in order for an igneous rock to form? ___________________________________
3) What does erosion have to do with the rock cycle? __________________________________________
4) What is the difference between magma and lava? ___________________________________________
5) When metamorphic rock melts what does it form? ___________________________________________
6) What can you infer about metamorphic rocks from their name? ________________________________
7) How are metamorphic rocks formed? _____________________________________________________
8) What has to happen to sediment in order for it to form sedimentary rock? _______________________
9) List an example of a sedimentary rock. ________________________________________
10) When does a sedimentary rock become a metamorphic rock? _________________________________
11) What is deposition? ___________________________________________________________________
12) Where are extrusive igneous rocks formed? ________________________________________________
13) Where are intrusive igneous rocks formed? ________________________________________________
14) What is the process of the rocks changing from one form to another called? ______________________
15) What are the two types of igneous rocks called? ____________________________________________