- Teacher will introduce a number path to students using numbers 1-10 or putting together the 2 given number paths 1-10 and 11-20. Note: Number paths are provided for printing in the digital tool section.
- Next, students will be given a manipulative, such as a counting bear or button, to use to place on a given number.
- Teacher will call out any number on the number path and ask the students to place the manipulative on that number.
- Teacher will ask students to continue counting from the given number that the manipulative is on. (Teacher says, "place the bear on number 5" and asks the students to continue counting forward within a given range).
- Teacher will then ask the students what number comes before the given number that is occupied by the manipulative (the bear).
- Continue to practice until all students have had a chance to be successful with rote counting beginning with any given number other than 1.
Check to see if the student:
- is able to count from any given number other than 1 using the number path.
- is able to continue counting from where the manipulative is placed. (Counting bear is on number 4. Student can continue to count using the number path, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
- is able to orally say the missing number from the worksheet.
- is able to write the missing number on the worksheet. (challenge)
Make a copy of the digital tools, number paths, and missing numbers page, for each student.
Provide each student with a manipulative to use on the number path such as a counting bear, button, counter, penny, etc.
|Variation Tips (optional):
Once your students have mastered counting from 0-10 starting from any given number, you can tape the two number paths together to use numbers 1-20.
The number path can also be used to challenge students to answer what number is ? more than a given number and ? less than a given number (What number is 2 more than 6? What number is 1 less than 6?)
|Notes or Recommendations (optional):
2. Count to 100 by ones beginning with any given number between 0 and 99.