- The teacher will assign Is It Normal? through Google Classroom or another online learning platform.
- The teacher will direct each student to the Desmos learning activity, Is It Normal? in Google Classroom or preferred online learning platform.
- This lesson will be taught as a whole group activity.
- The teacher will guide the students through each slide while explaining and teaching the skills using the slides.
- The teacher will instruct the students to answer the prompts provided in the activity.
- The teacher should provide insight and guidance on each slide.
- As the students complete the prompts, the teacher should monitor students' progress on Desmos to identify problems or gaps in learning.
- Once the students answer their prompts, they can share their answers and they can see three other students' answers for a comparison of the correctness of their work.
- The teacher should answer the students' questions immediately to prevent misunderstandings.
The teacher can assess the students' answers in Desmos for assessment purposes. The teacher should correct the students' mistakes or misunderstandings.
The teacher will need to ensure the classroom has the following:
- Internet connection (WiFi).
- Classroom set of computers, iPads, or smart devices. (If allowed students can use their own personal devices.)
- Prior to the lesson, the teacher will need to assign Is It Normal? in Google Classroom.
- Prior to the lesson, the teacher should be familiar with Desmos and should create a free class code for the activity. If the teacher does not have a Desmos account, he/she will need to create a free Desmos account.
- Prior to the lesson, the teacher should work through the activity and be prepared to address questions. (The teacher can print a Teacher Guide to assist in this preparation.)
|Variation Tips (optional):
Students could work in pairs to complete this activity. If students do not have access to a device, the activity could be done as a whole group activity without assigning Is It Normal? through Google Classroom. If using with a whole group, the teacher should have students write their answers on whiteboards or on paper and check for mistakes. The teacher could print a Teacher Guide as use for note-taking if students need it for re-enforced instruction.
|Notes or Recommendations (optional):
25. From a normal distribution, use technology to find the mean and standard deviation and
estimate population percentages by applying the empirical rule.
a. Use technology to determine if a given set of data is normal by applying the empirical rule.
b. Estimate areas under a normal curve to solve problems in context, using calculators, spreadsheets, and tables as appropriate.