You may save this lesson plan to your hard drive as an html file by selecting
"File", then "Save As" from your browser's pull down menu. The file name extension
must be .html.
Students will create their own zoo of death after reading Chapter 2 of The Princess Bride. Students will list all of the five levels of the zoo of death as Prince Humperdink in the novel and create their own while researching animals and habitats and create a poster with colored pictures of animals and environments.
This is a College- and Career-Ready Standards showcase lesson plan.
Primary Learning Objective(s):
Students will be able to close read Chapter 2 while using Chapter 2 during reading activity and answer and cite questions then create a zoo of death to illustrate their understanding of the novel after reading Chapter 2 and researching for information.
Additional Learning Objective(s):
91 to 120 Minutes
Materials and Resources:
Computers with Internet access for zoo of death project or library for research:
Technology Resources Needed:
Computers with Internet access
Document camera optional
Read The Princess Bride
Review Chapter 2 and the "zoo of death" concept in novel.
1. Journal: Choose one of the following to write 5 sentences about as your journal entry for today.
2. Discuss journal entries and lead discussion to the topic of zoos.
3. List on board reasons for and against traditional zoos, then list the zoo of death on chart paper to be placed in room during project.
4. Read aloud Chapter 2 to class (only 4 pages) and have students follow reading with study guide and answer and cite questions during reading.
5. Assign zoo of death (see attachments).
6. Allow students to research required information to complete project.
7. After finishing project, discuss and display in classroom after evaluation.
Finished product poster of "zoo of death" will be the assessment.
Rubric is on the copy of "zoo of death" project for students to view while completing project.
Students will expound on "zoo of death" by adding other components such as more information, pictures to each level.
Students will make a "zoo of death" with extra time and no writing component.
Each area below is a direct link to general teaching strategies/classroom
for students with identified learning and/or behavior problems such as: reading
or math performance below grade level; test or classroom assignments/quizzes at
a failing level; failure to complete assignments independently; difficulty with
short-term memory, abstract concepts, staying on task, or following directions;
poor peer interaction or temper tantrums, and other learning or behavior problems.