Before Strategy/Engage (10 minutes)
Pose the following question to the students: What must a sentence contain in order for it to meet our writing targets?
Instruct students that they will turn and talk to their neighbor about the things that a sentence needs in order to meet learning targets.
After the partner discussion, discuss the question as a whole group referring to the writing target anchor chart.
During Strategy/Explore and Explain (40 minutes)
1. On chart paper show and read the first sentence to the class (the example sentences are found in the background/preparation section).
Ask the students if it is a sentence based on the writing learning targets anchor chart.
Have the students go through the anchor statements to check off the target requirements: uppercase letter at the beginning of a sentence, appropriate punctuation at the end, spacing between, sentence readability, and correct spelling.
Once the students recognize that it is a complete sentence, move on to the next example. Once the students identify that the sentence is incorrect, make the corrections as a whole group on the chart paper. Continue with the previous steps on sentences three and four.
2. As a whole group, review with the students ways we can protect and lessen the human impact on the environment discussed in previous lessons (information found in background/preparation).
3. Instruct the students that they will create an informational writing piece using the information discussed on lessening the human impact on the environment and incorporating the correct structure of a sentence.
4. The students will write one way they can help protect the environment on paper or in their journals.
5. Next, they will create a collage of the Earth using tissue paper and the provided Earth template that can be found using this link http://www.clipartbest.com/earth-template. The students will tear the blue tissue paper into pieces. Then, glue the pieces of blue tissue paper onto the water of the Earth template. Next, the students will tear the green tissue paper into pieces and glue the pieces of green tissue paper onto the land of the Earth template.
6. Once the tissue paper collage is complete, the Earth will be glued at the top of the 12 in. X 18 in. black construction paper with their writing piece glued underneath.
After Strategy/Explain & Elaborate (10 minutes)
Students will share their writing sample with a partner. Students will critique their partner's writing sample for meeting the writing learning targets listed on the anchor chart and appropriateness of the response to the posed question.