As students enter the classroom, the teacher will hand each student a colored card. Students will be assigned to groups according to the color of the card. Students should be in groups of four.
Before: (Activate prior knowledge) 3 to 5 minutes
Handout a t-chart for students to list and sort two-dimensional and three-dimensional examples.
Show video on two-dimensional and three-dimensional examples. ( examples of 24 nets)
During: (Actively engage students) The teacher give the students the two performance tasks:
Follow the steps to complete the performance task.
Rectangular Prism: Centimeter Grid Paper
Performance Task I: (5cm X 6cm X 4cm)
1. Label the dimensions (on the inside).
2. Cut out the provided rectangular prism net.
3. ( length = 5cm, width = 6cm, height = 4cm) = 5cm X 6cm X 4cm
4. The formula to find the volume of a rectangular prism is: V=lwh
5. The volume of this rectangular prism is __
6. The formula to find the surface area of a rectangular prism is:
SA = 2lw + 2wh + 2lh
7. Find the surface area of this rectangular prism.
8. Show your work.
Performance Task II:
1. Draw a net for a rectangular prism.
2. Use the following dimensions:
6cm X 4cm X 2cm.
3. Label the three dimensions.
4. What is the formula to find the volume of a rectangular prism?
5. Find the volume of the rectangular prism.
6. What is the formula to find the surface area of the rectangular prism?
7. Find the surface area of the rectangular prism.