Before Lesson: Day 1
The teacher will need to introduce vocabulary using a best practice vocabulary model (sample model: say the word, use the word in context and pictorial representation, define the word, apply the word). The words will need to be posted on a word wall.
Vocabulary Word List:
Past, present, future, timeline, history, grow, change, dates, events
Close Reading of Text "Timelines" (see close reading method in background knowledge).
During Lesson: Day 2
Activity 1: Classroom Timeline
1. Give each child a rectangle to write their name, month, and date of their birthdays.
2. Create a timeline with masking tape on the floor and month tags. Invite children to stand on masking tape timeline in the appropriate order of their birthdays.
3. Show children whose birthdays fall in the same month how to look at the dates to see that the lowest number is listed first. This is where the teacher will make a strong connection to students about counting sequencing and timeline-counting sequencing.
4. Make a timeline on bulletin board paper, and have students tape up their birthdays in the correct order. This will serve as the classroom birthday board.
After Lesson: Day 3
Activity 3: My Life Timeline
1. The students will receive a blank timeline frame. The students will illustrate and write a statement to describe a timeline of the past, present, and future (I want to be ________) of their life. The students will present their timeline to the class during a show-and-tell.