TW-Display Standard SS3: Use various primary sources, including calendars and timelines, for reconstructing the past. Examples: historical letters, stories, interviews with elders, photographs, maps, artifacts. Unpack standard with students.
TW/SW-Analyze standard to write it in kid friendly terms. Ex: I can rebuild the past with a timeline. See attached picture.
1st period: 30-45 Minute
1. TW show an example sequence of events without a title from https://goo.gl/tBvk8A.
2. TW tell students “Today we will be working with groups. You will be given a list of events. You will work with your group to put these events in order. “
3. TW show all the possible event titles. TW keep these titles at a common table for students to come get after they have put their designated event group in order.
4. TW tell students “Once your group has finished placing your events in order, you will need to discuss what these events or steps have in common. You will then pick out a title from this table to give a title to your sequence of events.”
5. TW divide students into five groups: Specials, Subjects, How to Use, Holidays, and Events in a Day. Four groups can be made if you eliminate the “How to Use_______” group.
5. SW work together in small groups to order events for five minutes with each grouping.
6. SW rotate through all five groups. At each group, SW take a picture to record their answers using a camera, Explain Everything app, Seesaw app, etc.
2nd Period: 30-45 Minute
- TW Read As The Oak Tree Grows by G. Brian Karas.
- TW stop while reading to discuss how much time has passed between pages.
- TW/SW create a timeline together recording time that passes in As The Oak Tree Grows.
- TW/SW will work together to generate questions about the timeline.
- TW divide students into groups or with partners to observe/analyze books with timelines.
- Each group will be given a biography of a famous American: Suggested titles:
SW find the timeline in their biography. The groups will discuss and answer these questions. https://goo.gl/WrzpbA TW observe students in groups and help where needed.
TW/SW show and discuss things they noticed about timelines: dates, years, pictures, facts, etc. with the group.
- George Washington by Erin Edison
- Martin Luther King Jr. by Riley Flynn
- Rosa Parks by Erin Edison
- Clara Barton by Erin Edison
- Sally Ride by Erin Edison
- Susan B. Anthony by Erin Edison
- Jane Goodall by Erin Edison
- Harriet Tubman by Erin Edison
- Florence Nightingale by Erin Edison
- Marie Curie by Erin Edison
- Helen Keller by Erin Edison
- Pocahontas by Erin Edison
1. After all tasks have been completed, SW complete exit ticket. https://goo.gl/cUOSFd.
2. TW/SW revisit standard, reflect, and discuss what was discovered.