Scientific and Engineering Practices
Engaging in Argument from Evidence
Cause and Effect
- Engineers design solutions to reduce the impact of weather related hazards.
- Problems caused by weather related problems.
- Humans can not eliminate natural hazards but can take steps to reduce their impacts.
- Some design solutions are more effective than others.
Students are able to:
- Identify impacts of a weather related hazard.
- Identify the effects of solutions to a problem that reduces the impact of a weather related hazard.
- Make a claim about a designed solution that reduces the impact of a weather related hazard.
- Communicate evidence to support the claim about a designed solution that reduces the impact of a weather related hazard.
Students understand that:
- There are cause and effect relationships between weather-related hazards and design solutions created to reduce their impact.
- There are benefits and risks to given solutions created when responding to the societal demand to reduce the impact of a hazard.
- Design solution
- Weather-related hazard