- Characteristics of addition and subtraction contexts such as putting together, adding to, taking apart, and taking from.
Students are able to:
- represent quantities and operations physically, pictorially, or symbolically.
- Strategically use a variety of representations to solve addition and subtraction word problems.
- Use informal and mathematical language to communicate addition and subtraction representations.
- Accurately compute sums and differences.
Students understand that:
- both putting together and adding to can be viewed as addition.
- both taking apart and taking from can be viewed as subtraction.
- Mathematical problems can be solved using a variety of strategies and representations.
- Concrete objects