- Phonemes are individual speech sounds.
- Single-syllable spoken words are composed of a combination of phonemes.
- Individual phonemes can be blended to create a complete spoken word or a spoken word can be segmented into its individual phonemes.
- Blend three to four phonemes to make a single-syllable spoken word.
- Segment a single-syllable spoken word into three to four phonemes.
- Blending is the ability to hear each individual sound in a word, join the sounds together, and produce the word.
- Segmenting is the ability to break a word down into its individual sounds.